Saturday 25 February 2012

Four books at a time

I enjoyed blogging about my recent trip to Mexico (see my Tea or Chocolate blog).  Now that I'm back in Canada and am preparing to go back to work, I'd like to continue.  When thinking about a theme, books naturally occurred to me.  I read a lot (or at least I used to).  Blogging about what I read would give me an excuse to keep blogging, would likely help me get more out of the books that I pick up,  and who knows?  Someone might be interested in reading my reviews. I think I'll give it a try, anyway.

As an added twist, I'm going to try to review every single book that I read over the course of the year.  I'm curious how much I read these days, and am also curious what the current distribution of books is.  I don't usually keep track.

As for the blog title......I like reading more than one book at a time. I'm not always in the mood for the same thing.  For example, I may alternate between something serious and something light.  When I have more time I might read three things:  maybe something non-fiction, a serious novel, and a mystery.  But when I have even more time and more energy (like I did on our recent Mexico sabbatical), I sometimes go farther..... up to four books at a time.

Frankly, reading four books is something I've tried to do many times but may never have actually achieved. Three books is doable, where "success" is defined as making progress on all of the books and eventually finishing them all.  But every time I start that fourth book....one of them seems to fall off the mental radar.

So, I'm not sure if reading four books at a time is an aspiration (one day I will have enough time and focus to successfully keep four books going at once!), or a fool's errand (who on earth can keep that many mental threads going at once? And who would even want to?).  But given that this book blog is an experiment of similar "dubiosity", I'm taking "four books at a time" as my title.


No comments:

Post a Comment