Monday 27 February 2012

Sweetness at the bottom of the pie by Allan Bradley

I had a cold.  I couldn't concentrate.  I decided that nothing would do but to find a mystery to relax with while my head cleared.  So I popped by the library and picked up a few books suitable for reading on the couch with a cat on my lap.

Allan Bradley got a lot of press when this book was published:  he's a Canadian writer and I believe first time published author in his 70s who got a contract for several books on the basis of this one.  It also won a first mystery novel award.

Summary: it's engaging, relatively well-written, and certainly has an original detective in its precocious 11 year old heroine.  Unlike many mysteries by less-experienced authors, the plot was plausible within its context, and barely creaked (although I continue to wonder how the stamps survived some of their adventures).  However, after having just spent 3 days with several very bright kids in the 8-12 year old range....I have to say that I find Flavia a bit too precocious for plausibility.  Sure, she has an appropriately hostile relationship with her elder sisters, and an entertaining passion for poisons....but her knowledge of chemistry is a titch too comprehensive for me.

Started: Feb. 25th
Finished: Feb. 26th
Pages:292

No comments:

Post a Comment