Thursday 1 March 2012

Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer

I was going to say, "Georgette Heyer's romances are second to none", but I don't actually know that.  I've never read any others, unless you count the Harlequin romances my sister used to leave lying around the house.  And I only read the last 3 pages of those to get the peculiar experience of reading the exact same ending with different character names, over and over again.

So Georgette Heyer is my expectation of a romance:  witty,  well-written, and with plots of extreme implausiblity but high entertainment value.  Jane Austen light, with a bit of madcap adventure thrown in for leavening.

Her mysteries don't live up to that standard.....but I've read all of the romances, and almost all of the historical novels!  And they're solid, readable British country-house mysteries of a certain era.  Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours of relaxation.

Started Feb. 27
Finished Feb. 28th
Pages: 347

No comments:

Post a Comment