Saturday 21 July 2012

Death comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

Started: July 9th, 2012
Finished: July 17th
Pages: 291

Well, I should have known better.  And I did know better. But again....I've been working long hours, and need something to relax with when I get home after, say, 11 hours of work and a 40 minute commute.  Which is okay the first time you do it, but does get old after a few weeks.

Anyway, I knew what I was getting in to, so there are lots of criticisms I have absolutely no right to make.  When you read a book that picks up the story of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy several years after the wedding that concludes Pride and Prejudice, you have to expect that it will spell out altogether too much about their subsequent lives.  And it isn't surprising that it might unnecessarily revisit key scenes from the original book, while drawing in every single major character and some of the minor ones too, irrespective of the demands of the plot.  But I do wish that James hadn't gotten quite so involved with the legal aspects of the mystery. It dragged, particularly towards the end.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I think this was PD James indulging herself, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose she may feel that she's earned the right to at this point!

    ReplyDelete