Thursday 19 July 2012

The Diviners by Margaret Laurence

Begun: 27 June 2012
Finished: 14 July 2012
Pages: 462

I first read The Diviners as a teenager. At that time, there were two Margarets in Canadian literature, and Laurence seemed somehow the wiser and more eternal. It still feels that way.  Maybe because Laurence gets me in the gut every time.

The Diviners says something new to me every time I read it. As a teenager it was about the need to get away. In my twenties, the story of Morag and Jules spoke to me of the importance of enduring connection. Today I see the cost of all of the choices, the story of Canada told through the person of Pique (Scots and Metis), the power of story to shape our lives, and how where you are from makes you who you are.

And somehow that feels like just the start.

I wonder what I'll think when I reread it 10 years from now?

No comments:

Post a Comment