Sunday 25 November 2012

Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

Started: Nov. 8th, 2012
Finished: Nov. 24, 2012
Pages: 344

Any review of this book calls out for a compare and contrast with The Life of Pi.  After all, how many books can there be that feature a boy, a tiger, and a shipwreck?  Unfortunately, I can't do the honours: I may be the only person in the history of the world who started The Life of Pi and didn't finish it.  (Don't ask:  I am also the only person alive who got through the 1980s without seeing E.T.)

So, I'm on my own here, and am feeling a little at sea.   Jamrach's Menagerie is engaging....it follows the adventures of a Victorian boy born into the mud of the East London slums who encounters a tiger.  Knowing no better, he pets the tiger on the nose and it reciprocates by taking him in its jaws and carrying him into a much different life.  

So far so good.

But....when I read a literary novel I feel as if I ought to be able to figure out what it's trying to say.  Instead, as far as I can tell the author was struck by a couple of historical incidents and decided to spin a tale.  The end.

Nothing wrong with that.  But it feels like empty reading calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment