Sunday 11 November 2012

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron

Started: Nov. 3
Finished: Nov. 9
Pages: 318

This novel features my least-favorite "historical novel" trap:  it makes its characters and their attitudes modern.  I know, I know.  These books are written to entertain.  They're written to appeal to a contemporary audience.  And *of course* they're written to sell.   So what do I expect from a novel that features Jane Austen as the detective?

Sigh.  I know, I know.  If I pick up a piece of trash at the library, I get what I deserve.  But I refuse to forfeit my right to complain about getting exactly what I ought to have expected.....  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I have always believed that Jane Austen had a certain modern attitude, which allowed her to write about the culture and mores of her day with such light irony and wit and a bit of a distance. The urge of the writer to recreate her as a modern character must have been overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete