Friday 5 July 2013

The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst

May 2013

Pages: 564  (unfinished:  bookmark at page 422)

How did this happen?  It's July, and I've just realized that I haven't blogged about a single book since April.  Yow.  I *thought* I was going to continue....but then again, I also thought I was going to finish this book.

I started this book in April, but didn't take it along to Saskatoon with me when I visited my Mom in early May, and forgot all about it when I returned.  Does that mean that I didn't like the book?  Or that I'm not going to book-blog anymore?

First, the book.  This is the third book by Alan Hollinghurst that I've read.  He's very well known in Britain, and won the Man Booker prize for The Line of Beauty in 2004.  The one line summary of The Stranger's Child is that this book is not a second Line of Beauty...that was a stunning, subtle dissection of the moral decay at the heart of Thatcherism.   This book explores some of Hollinghurst's favourite themes: class, gay life, family history, and memory.  And it's beautifully written.  But it didn't grab me in the same way.  Perhaps it would have all come together if I'd have finished it, as The Line of Beauty did, and I'd now be writing a rave.

As for the book blogging, we'll see.  I have great plans to finish a backlog of blog entries.   We'll see how that goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment